Thursday, May 17, 2012

Farmers Market

I'll be at Old Glory & Friends in Greenwood on the east side of town tomorrow May 18th. I've made a few gooseberry pies and we'll also have kale, swizz chard, buttercruch lettuce, herbs and free range eggs.

The boysenberries are just starting to turn red and they are huge. Black raspberries are red and today I ate two black ones I found. The gooseberries and blackberries are just loaded with berries. I'm watching them daily to be able to time the right harvest for them.

The storms we had a week ago or so brought with it a lot of hail to the berry farm. Last year we had the drought this year hail................But I'm still farming and learning to live with these wild weather conditions. It was hard to walk the fields after the hail storm and see all the leaves riped on the grapes, the stems torn apart on the tomatoes and with 4 inches of rain so quick the ponds of water surrounding all the strawberries. But things have dried out, the lettuce, kale, and chard was cut to the ground level and started over.
This farm life is challenging for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment