Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Organic Farming is Hard Stuff

A lot of people have ask me why I choose organic farming when I starting this berry farm. After yesterday, I was wondering too. I planted the remaining 8 acres in blackberries this spring. I had good intentions of mulching right away to keep the soil moist and deter the weeds. Well time got away from me and the weeds were taking over. I pulled out my troy built tiller and starting down the paths yesterday at 9:00am. At times I felt like I was riding a bull for 8 seconds as my right hand would fly up in the air as the tiller bucked though the weeds. I finished that field 6 hours later and still have a lot of hand weeding to do and then the mulching will begin. Organic farming is very labor intensive and it would have been much easier to just pour herbicide all over everything there.
That is something everyone should consider as they are purchasing produce especially coming in from Mexico. Chemicals that are banned for use in the USA are allowed to be used in Mexico and that product is being shipping directly to us to consume. It is very hard to find vegetables and fruit these days that are grown the USA; which should be your first choice instead of foreign products if you cannot afford organic products. The restrictions that are enforced on organic farmers (which there needs to be) and the high amount of labor that is involved, creates the higher prices on organic produce.  So support your local organic farmer!!!

2 comments:

  1. Organic farming helpful in social, economic and environmental aspects. Organic farming helps to sustain health of soils. Use of locally available resources is the highlight of organic farming.

    Documentary “Farming Our Future” tells the ill effects of chemical farming and the role of organic farming in the creation of a healthy world.

    To watch please visit - http://www.cultureunplugged.com/play/6804

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your organic information you posted. The day I wrote the above blog post I was just so tired and wore out. Please don't think I wouldn't continue my oganic farming here. Even though it's tiring work, it's well worth it.
      thanks
      pam

      Delete